Update time!
computer still not fixed. prospective house (well, trailer) still doesn't have electricity or plumbing. BUT I met my principal today and now I know what I'm teaching: 9th and 10th grade English and Reading (those are two separate subjects). The school has about 220 students and 12 full-time teachers, so I may have to teach 6 classes in 6 periods. Lots of work! But I'm really excited to get started.
Enemanit: on Sunday we took a half-hour boat ride to the island of Enemanit, in the same atoll as the town of Majuro. absolutely beautiful. we snorkeled, jumped off the dock, collected some incredible shells, and ate some delicious Marshallese bbq, leftovers from the Kramer family which owns the island and picnics there every Sunday.
The end of orientation: tomorrow is our last day. it's also my birthday, so i definitely plan to celebrate at our big group dinner. My friend Heather is making me cake, which she tried really hard to keep secret...but it's a small island (and we were shopping together for our food for the year, so that wasn't very subtle. haha. but you are still AWESOME Heather!). Anyway, on Friday the outer-islands volunteers hopefully (due to the status of the Air Marshall Islands and its perdiodically-functioning planes) fly out to their islands, and we drive out to the far end of this island (hour and a half away) to Laura, our site. That is, IF the house is ready. Haha.
Gotta go, but look forward to hearing more about how we get our water, what a "bucket shower" is, and how the first week of school goes!
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment