Friday, February 12, 2010

Broken Appliances, Broken Logic

Things that have broken since we moved into the Laura house:
The air conditioning
The light in my room
The fridge
The front window
The outdoor security light
And, just yesterday: our hotplate, the only cooking appliance we have (no oven, no toaster, no microwave)

Things that have been fixed since I moved here:
The light in my room, which I fixed myself with a hair tie and a pebble.

Our landlady still hasn’t been paid rent by the Ministry of Education, so she doesn’t have the money to fix or replace any of the appliances. It's ok, we can live without a hotplate for a little while- tuna salad, peanut butter and jelly....oh dear god I'll go crazy.

As for broken logic, I just found out why one of my ninth-graders has been absent since Christmas Break: apparently she was sick for a little while, and then didn't come back to school even after she was well because she was embarrassed by how much class she had missed. I just don't even know how to respond to that. Of course, there might be more to it than illogical logic- my Baptist missionary friend suggested that perhaps the girl was pregnant. Either way, it's incredibly sad- she's a good kid and a good student and, once again, something here (everything here) is getting in the way of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment